top of page

Die Abhörstation des Heeres in Treuenbrietzen

The army's listening station

The city of Treuenbrietzen received a garrison again in 1936. The Army’s “Fixed Radio Receiving Centers I and II” were built on the Hellberg. For this purpose, new service buildings, residential buildings and an antenna field were built. A well camouflaged VHF receiver was installed in the Zarth about 1 km away. His task was to decrypt international messages, especially the radio communications of the foreign representations based in Berlin. Since this was of course forbidden, the work of the recipient was kept very secrecy. The system also served as an exchange for all front lines of the army. The reason for the settlement was the good connection to the repeater office of the Reichspost in Berlinerstrasse 8, which also served as a basic network node. A generator provided its own power supply.  The station was legendary as a weather radio receiving station. In 1939 it was given the name "Feste Horchstelle". She was directly subordinate to the Army High Command (OKH) in Wünsdorf.  The system was the radio-listening control center for all such facilities in the Reich and responsible for east and south reconnaissance of the OKH. During the war, the decryption of radio messages from all fronts was another task of the listening station. There is a report that the situation reports of the US military attaché were received in Cairo during the Africa campaign. These were forwarded to the OKW for decryption and from there sent back to Rommel in Africa. The function of this unit was expanded in 1942 and served as a "fixed intelligence intelligence agency". About 70 employees were employed at the listening point, 50 of them army and 20 civilian employees. The employees had their official apartments in the houses on Hellberg and Neue-Hufen-Strasse that are still preserved today. The soldiers were involved in local events. These are excerpts from newspaper reports in the city chronicle:

Abhörstation des Heeres

Ein Auszug aus einem Zeitungsbericht gefunden in der Stadtchronik vom 28.12.1943:

Die Soldaten des Hellbergs bieten am 20. Dezember im „Bürgergarten“ ein abendfüllendes Kabarettprogramm.

After the war, the mayor wanted to set up 16 two-room apartments in each of the barracks buildings to accommodate refugees. The proportion of refugees in the resident population was 72% in 1946. There was a great housing shortage. But his efforts are unsuccessful. By order of the Brandenburg District Command of the GSSD on November 26, 1946, the barracks on Hellberg were blown up.  Today only the entrance pillars and the fire pond are preserved. Only the two houses of the officers' families at the end of Sernowstrasse remain. In the Zarth, behind the peat ponds, I found the foundations of the VHF transmitter at the beginning of the noughties. A few years ago, however, several trees fell on it in a storm and have been covering it ever since. Until 1996 there was a green barrack on the current property in which Wehrmacht helpers from Hellberg were housed. After the war it was first used as a school, then as a vocational school and later by the POS Geschwister-Scholl for polytechnic lessons. Incidentally, in the first winter after the war, the children had to bring the coal for heating the classrooms from home.

Im Zarth, hinter den Torfteichen fand ich Anfang der Nuller-Jahre noch die Fundamente des UKW-Peilsenders. Der originale Peilsender ist Hintergrund des Unteroffiziers im obigen schwarzweiß Bild zu sehen. Vor ein paar Jahren sind bei einen Sturm aber mehrere Bäume darauf gefallen und verdecken ihn seitdem:

Bis 1996 stand auf dem jetzigen Grundstück der Stadthalle eine grüne Baracke in der die Wehrmachtshelferinnen vom Hellberg untergebracht waren. Nach dem Krieg wurde sie zunächst als Schule, dann als Berufsschule und später von der POS Geschwister-Scholl für den Polytechnischen Unterricht genutzt. Übrigens mussten sich die Kinder im erstem Nachkriegswinter die Kohlen für Heizung der Klassenräume von zu Hause mitbringen.

Later, Soviet officers looked for a news base in Treuenbrietzen and confiscated a large building on Bismarkstrasse, where they stayed until they left Germany.

Shortwave transmitter

In 1943, a shortwave transmitter equipped with rhombus antennas was installed in the forest between the sewage treatment plant and the lost water. The building for this was called "Fuchsbau". He had a connection cable to the repeater office of the Reichspost at Berlinerstrasse 8 in Treuenbrietzen. Cables from Munich and Frankfurt led to Berlin via the amplifier office, via which foreign messages were also transmitted. After the war, the facility was blown up. Apart from a deepening in the terrain, nothing of it can be seen today.

Kurzwellensender
bottom of page