top of page

Chemical plant II

​​ In the plant, which was founded in 1917 as an armaments factory (powder factory) and was transferred to IG Farben in 1926, the construction of a system for a gasoline additive to increase the performance of engines with a capacity of 1,200 tons per year began in 1935. The plant went into operation on March 11, 1936. The US companies General Motors and Standard Oil each had a share of 25 percent and IG Farben with 50 percent.

These profit interests were probably one reason why the facility did not make it onto the target lists of the Allied bomber fleets. In the same way, the second German plant in Saxony-Anhalt was spared. If this production had been destroyed, the German Air Force would no longer have been operational.  In May 1945 the plant was occupied by the Red Army. As early as May 25, 1945, the plant resumed production under Soviet management. It ran until August 1945. Then began dismantling and transporting the equipment to a Soviet chemical combine.

In the GDR, petrol was initially produced primarily from carbohydrate hydrogenation and the processing of smoldering tears. An improvement in quality was only possible through the addition of the dismantled machines from this factory. The "Council for Mutual Economic Aid" (RGW) recommended in 1953 that such a system should be built again at this location. The plant, which was partly built on the foundations of the dismantled plant, resumed production in February 1959.

The system was designed for 1,200 tons of TEL per year and achieved five times the originally planned output through process optimization over the years. Sulfuric acid was also produced in the factory until 1990.

Other chemicals have been added to the highly toxic gasoline additive to prevent lead and lead oxide build-up in the engine. As a result, the lead was discharged from the engine, but was released directly into the environment. In 1990 the facility was privatized. Worldwide, leaded petrol was gradually withdrawn from circulation in most countries and the site closed in 2002.

The buildings are still well preserved today, but almost completely gutted. There is hardly any vandalism here, probably because of its hidden location. The area impresses with its track connection running around the plant, the loading ramps and various types of buildings.

In the adjacent forest you can still find the huge remains of concrete and blown bunkers from the old explosives factory.

bottom of page