top of page

Aviator-Observer School of Artillery

At the beginning of the First World War, airmen were settled here. By 1917 ten hangars, a special hangar as a repair base, a restaurant for officers, an officers 'mess, officers' living quarters and radio barracks had been built. An aviator-observer school for the artillery was stationed here. The airfield had to be completely demilitarized in the early 1920s. The halls were used as storage rooms, and the airfield was converted back into a field in 1928.

 

In the early thirties, the military began to worry about the future of the place again. In 1934, not only did the reconstruction begin, but also the expansion of the airfield. The old halls were dismantled, and the old officers' mess was also torn down.  The runway was grassy. Initially, the DLV's Central Germany advertising squadron was stationed on the square. As early as 1934, the Jüterbog bomb school was located here, which was later renamed the Jüterbog Fighter Flying School and Jüterbog Fighter Flying Course. Further pilot training regiments, pilot schools and a close-up reconnaissance school were located here until 1945. Towards the end of the war, there were many aircraft on the field for which there was no longer enough fuel or trained pilots. About 500 members of the Air Force plus another 250 civilian employees were stationed here. According to Soviet records, 144 damaged aircraft, 362 aircraft engines and 3,000 bombs were recorded at the airfield.

After the end of the war, three of the six hangars were dismantled and sent to the Soviet Union as reparations. The remaining systems served from 1945 to accommodate the 853rd SAM (Fliegerwerkstatt) as a repair shop for aircraft of the 16th Air Army. A liaison unit was stationed in Jüterbog-Damm from 1950 to 1964. She was equipped with Po-2 and Jak-12 and from 1957 also with helicopters of the type SM-1 and Mi-4. Around 1960 an anti-aircraft missile position equipped with S-75 was established. The area was also used by the Soviet land forces.

After the GSSD withdrew, the area was handed over to the German authorities in June 1994, who declared it a conversion area and closed the airfield. The site is currently used for agriculture and is not accessible.

bottom of page