top of page

GSSD Garrison Rosenkrug and message bunker

During the Second World War, one of the largest prisoner-of-war camps in northern and central Germany was located on the site. Da Stalag had an average occupancy of 55,000 people from 13 countries. In the surrounding agriculture, but also in the ammunition factory, more than 1,700 work details had to do forced labor. Due to unsanitary conditions and a lack of food, epidemics occurred several times in the camp, claiming many victims.

The prison camp was liberated by the 83rd US Infantry Division on April 13, 1945 and occupied by Soviet troops in May 1945.  Until August 1945, the accommodations on the site of the military training area were used as assembly and transit camps for Soviet prisoners of war. The old buildings were then torn down.

From the mid-1950s, GDR construction companies erected 150 buildings for the Russian infrastructure in several construction phases: barracks, apartments for officers and their family members, training buildings, workshops, tank farms, sports halls, garages. The tall chimney of the boiler house is still visible from afar. A waterworks and a sewage treatment plant were also built, as well as pigsties, a transformer, shops, bathhouses, a soldiers' club and a library. A guard tank regiment and a tank training battalion were stationed here.

The remaining Soviet war memorial was also interesting. About 5000 Soviet officers lived with their families in the apartment blocks. The small town and the tank barracks were assigned to the neighboring military training area, where over 50,000 Soviet soldiers were stationed.

In 1994 the Russians left with man and mouse. The location was taken over by the Federal Property Administration in the so-called general real estate. The Bundeswehr did not want to take over this area at that time because of the many contaminated sites: garbage dumps, contaminated groundwater, tank farms, boiler houses, large chemical cleaning halls and dilapidated buildings made the area a very expensive redevelopment area.

 

There was an underground telecommunications bunker on the premises, which I found after a long search. He was also accessible. The Soviet military construction brigade from Forst Zinna built this one-story bunker around 1980. It has a size of approx. 500 square meters and served as the 833th support message center of the GSSD (nickname Lesnoj).

 

Fernmeldebunker
bottom of page