top of page

The sulfur springs bubbling in the old spa were known for their healing properties as early as the middle of the 15th century. The first bathing room was built here in 1490. In the heyday from the 19th to the beginning of the 20th century, the spa experienced a steep boom. Many new buildings were built at the end of the 19th century. The old spa was often called "the cold Gastein". The baths and cures were used against many ailments, including disorders of the autonomic nervous system, circulatory problems, rheumatic diseases, anemia, chronic constipation and gynecological problems. After the First World War, and even more so after the Second World War, when people moved to more distant destinations, the old baths fared like many other baths in Europe, where the demand for traditional bathing resorts fell sharply and often led to the facilities being closed. Most of the buildings are now in great danger of collapsing. But a look from the outside is also very interesting, especially the entrance with the label; "Kuk Imperial Telegraph Office". The little church is a listed building.

The old spa in South Tyrol

bottom of page