top of page

Reichsbahn repair shop E.

The RAW took 2 years to build. The opening took place in 1905. The plant received a large locomotive and wagon workshop. In the twenties, the plant was constantly expanded and modernized. The railway grew around the plant and its influence on the development of the district. Housing construction for railway employees was promoted and a housing cooperative was founded. Mobile electric cranes were installed in the wheelset turning shop. The locomotive and wagon workshop were enlarged and laid out with wooden floors, and the wagon workshop was equipped with an electric transfer table. In order to increase the capacity of the boiler house, it was expanded by installing two additional, significantly larger boilers. In 1940 the construction of a new boiler shop was approved. The hall was built parallel to the previous execution hall. It went into operation in 1942. The locomotive boilers were now repaired using the flow process, the boilers moved from stand to stand within the hall. On April 10, 1945, 85% of the factory was destroyed by Allied bombers. The locomotive workshop, the wagon workshop, the canteen, the water tower, the training workshop and the outdoor facilities were no longer recognizable. The main focus of the construction in the years after 1945 was the rehabilitation of the boiler shop, the restoration of locks and pipes, the commissioning of the boiler house, the use of the large chimney, the utilization of parts of the destroyed forge, the locomotive hall, the wagon workshop, the tender workshop, the Heating sheds and the compressed air supply. Furthermore, the destroyed RAW water tower was rebuilt between 1950 and 1952. A striking octagonal clinker brick building 34 meters high was created. In 1966 550 steam locomotives were repaired. In 1967 the repair of steam locomotives was stopped and switched to the production of freight wagons. After the fall of the Wall, the repairs to boxcars and mail wagons of the Deutsche Reichsbahn were taken over. 2300 employees worked in the factory in 1989. The work became less and less and several waves of layoffs reduced the workforce to 150 employees, who were taken over by a Swedish company at the beginning of the noughties, which re-used parts of the huge site. The big halls are empty and have become a lost place.

bottom of page