top of page

The abandoned brick factory

On the edge of a village on the border are the remains of an old brick factory. There were brick kilns in and around the village as early as the middle of the 14th century. From 1883 to 1887 the master bricklayer Friedrich Senst had a house and a brick factory built in the village. The master bricklayer Friedrich Senst, born in 1856, then bought the earth pits of the Friedrich family, who had operated a brickworks in which brickworks were made by hand. Senst had no money and financed the project with a 300 mark loan from the Kreissparkasse.

In 1938 certain production areas of the brickworks were automated. You can still see the machines in a collapsed building today. From today's perspective, the owner Richard Senst continued to operate in an exemplary manner. When the clay in an area was exploited, extensive soil relocation was carried out so that the land could immediately be used as arable land again. From January 1, 1956, the company belonged to the United Brick Works of the district town. In 1956 there was still a works manager, a cook and 34 workers employed in the brick factory. The brickworks remained the most important employer in the village, but the work was expensive. The stokers, who worked with coal dust, inhaled dangerous gases. At the beginning of the 1990s the brick factory was closed and replaced by a new building on the other side of the street. The company also acquired the site of the old brick factory. The maintenance of the system was actually promised, but it did not materialize. The area deteriorated more and more. Today it belongs to the community. It tries with subsidies to keep the building at least partly as an industrial museum. But nothing has happened so far.

bottom of page